FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 17, 2019
Mayor Noble’s 2020 Recommended Budget Released
KINGSTON, NY – At tonight’s Budget Address, Mayor Steve Noble announced his 2020 Recommended Budget. His budget presentation can be found here and was live-streamed by Radio Kingston.
Highlights of the 2020 Recommended Budget include:
- The tax levy remains at $17,650,940 for the fifth year in a row (0% increase)
- 0% increase in sewer rates
- No layoffs
- 12 full-time positions added or expanded including a full-time Bilingual Clerk, a full-time Director of Arts & Cultural Affairs, three positions at DPW including a Tree Maintenance Technician
- Major infrastructure projects will be completed or underway in 2020
- Low Fiscal Stress Score (6.7 out of 100)
- Appropriate funding in contingency for non-recurring costs (such as retroactive raises for employees)
In addition to added capacity in several key departments, the 2020 Recommended Budget includes a variety of exciting capital projects including Wi-Fi in Kingston parks, essential DPW equipment, and a new fire engine. In the Parks and Recreation capital plan, $150,000 has been set aside for improvements to Block and Loughran Parks as well as the construction of a skatepark at Hasbrouck Park.
For the first time in a decade, the Mayor’s proposed budget would decrease spending. In his Recommended Budget, Mayor Noble is cutting spending while adding services and expanding capacity.
The Common Council’s Public Hearing on the 2020 Recommended Budget will be held on Monday, October 28 at 6:00pm in the Council Chambers at City Hall.
**All of the following Budget Finance Meetings will be at 6:30pm in
Conference Room 1
Monday, October 28 DPW/Waste Water Treatment Plant budget review
Wednesday, Oct. 30
KPD budget review
4 Fire/Building Safety budget review
Wednesday, Nov. 6
and Recreation budget review
Nov. 18 City
Hall budget review
Monday, Nov. 25 Wrap
Videos of the Finance Meetings will be posted at www.kingston-ny.gov/kingstonlive
2020 Recommended Budget: https://www.kingston-ny.gov/news/?FeedID=1074
2020 Recommended Budget Presentation: https://www.kingston-ny.gov/filestorage/8463/13525/2020_Budget_Address_presentation.pdf