FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 17, 2023
Dietz Stadium Designs Complete, Construction to Begin in Spring
KINGSTON, NY – Mayor Steven T. Noble is pleased to give an update on the progress of the Dietz Stadium/Andretta Pool Improvements Project, the $20 million improvement project to renovate and modernize the stadium complex. Dietz Stadium construction drawings are now complete, and the bid preparation process is underway. Once construction begins, the project is expected to take 14-16 months.
Work has already been completed on Phase 1, which included the exterior of the pool house, improvements and repairs to the pool, and the addition of the splash pad. As part of Phase 2, construction began in September 2022 on a complete renovation of the interior of the pool house and is expected to be completed this spring.
The remainder of Phase 2 is focused on the stadium and its surroundings. Pre-construction work such as sub-soil borings, hazardous material testing, and site clearing began in the fall. The site has remained open to the public for use of the track, loop road, and parking lots during this initial pre-construction phase.
“We will continue to update residents as we move forward with this major multi-million-dollar renovation project. With construction starting this spring, and as we are preparing for bidding, we are pleased to share the final designs with the public,” said Mayor Noble. “This exciting project is a once-in-a-generation investment that will transform the Dietz Stadium complex into a regional draw, a modernized facility that will be the pride of our community. We ask for the public’s patience during the construction phase.”
Dietz Stadium renovations include:
• Exterior renovations of the grandstand, including improved ADA access, a 50-yard line access tunnel to the locker rooms, new benches, and press box upgrades
• Interior renovations of the grandstand, including upgrades to the restrooms, new locker rooms, new mechanical/ electrical services, coaches offices, training room, and improved storage facilities
• New track surfacing, new turf field, and new LED stadium lighting
• New scoreboard with large screen broadcasting
• All new underground utilities, ie. water, sewer, storm, electric & communications
• Removal of the old concession building and admin building and construction of a new 100’ x 36’ open-air pavilion with food truck hook-ups, concession booth, and referee locker room
• Visitor side concession area with two restrooms
• Expanded grassed practice area with a track & field equipment storage building
• New gated ticket booth grandstand entrance
• Bus parking at stadium entrance, new parking lots with green infrastructure
• Improved access loop road and sidewalks around the stadium
• Two-way access/egress to Hurley Avenue as well as Joys Lane
• Relocated basketball court with benches and lighting
• Pedestrian access/egress walk to Joys Lane near Kingstone Insurance
• New stadium perimeter fencing
• Improved Wi-Fi and security cameras
• Landscaping including 120+ new trees
The Dietz Stadium Improvements Project was kick-started with $2.5 million from the City of Kingston’s Downtown Revitalization Initiative award which helped create the Dietz Stadium Master Plan and designs as well as portions of Phase 1, such as the Andretta Pool improvements and the installation of a new splash pad.
In addition to the DRI award, the City has also received two New York State grants for green infrastructure improvements to the parking lot and surrounding drive —$1.5 million from the Environmental Facilities Corporation and $1 million from the Department of Environmental Conservation.
More information, including the design documents, can be found at https://engagekingston.com/dietz-stadium-andretta-pool-improvements.