FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 4, 2023
Dietz Stadium Construction Update
KINGSTON, NY – Mayor Steven T. Noble is pleased to announce that construction contracts have been signed, and a notice to proceed has been issued for the Dietz Stadium Improvements Project. Mobilization is expected to begin on Friday, August 11, 2023.
As part of the pre-construction work, electric service was terminated to the site and all underground utilities and site features have been marked. Dietz Stadium will remain open to the public until dusk for the next week, or until mobilization begins. Once construction begins, fencing will be installed around the stadium and the facility will be closed to the public.
The Dietz Stadium Improvements Project is a $20+ million improvement project to renovate and modernize the stadium complex. Dietz Stadium renovations include:
• Exterior renovations of the grandstand, including improved ADA access, a 50-yard line access tunnel to the locker rooms, new benches, and press box upgrades
• Interior renovations of the grandstand, including upgrades to the restrooms, new locker rooms, new mechanical/ electrical services, coaches offices, training room, and improved storage facilities
• New track surfacing, new turf field, and new LED stadium lighting
• New scoreboard with large screen broadcasting
• All new underground utilities: water, sewer, storm, electric & communications
• Removal of the old concession building and admin building and construction of a new 100’ x 36’ open-air pavilion with food truck hook-ups, concession booth, and referee locker room
• Visitor side concession area with two restrooms
• Expanded grassed practice area with a track & field equipment storage building
• New gated ticket booth grandstand entrance
• Bus parking at stadium entrance, new parking lots with green infrastructure
• Improved access loop road and sidewalks around the stadium
• Two-way access/egress to Hurley Avenue as well as Joys Lane
• Relocated basketball court with benches and lighting
• Pedestrian access/egress walk to Joys Lane near Kingstone Insurance
• New stadium perimeter fencing
• Improved Wi-Fi and security cameras
• Landscaping, including 120+ new trees
The Dietz Stadium Improvements Project was kick-started with $2.5 million from the City of Kingston’s Downtown Revitalization Initiative award which helped create the Dietz Stadium Master Plan and designs as well as portions of Phase 1, such as the Andretta Pool Improvements and the installation of a new splash pad. The City of Kingston has also received two New York State grants for green infrastructure improvements to the parking lot and surrounding drive, $1.5 million from the Environmental Facilities Corporation and $1 million from the Department of Environmental Conservation.
Once construction begins, the project is expected to take 14-16 months. Follow the project at https://engagekingston.com/dietz-stadium-improvements.
Andretta Pool will remain open until the end of the summer season, with parking available.