INFORMATION REGARDING PRE-PAYMENT OF 2018 CITY OF KINGSTON PROPERTY TAX
Due to communications from Governor Cuomo regarding the recent changes in the Federal Tax Law that affect the deductibility of real property taxes, the City of Kingston has received numerous calls from residents regarding the pre-payment of their 2018 General (City/County) Tax Bill.
Please note the following information:
- The City can only collect the pre-payment of the 2018 General Tax Bill (Not school taxes).
- Only the first installment or full payment of 2018 General Taxes will be accepted. Partial payments and overpayments will not be accepted and will be returned. To obtain the amount of your payment options (first installment or full payment amount), you must call 845-334-3935 prior to making your payment.
- Pre-payment by Mail - Call 845-334-3935 to obtain your payment amount. Payments will only be accepted in the amounts as provided by the Comptroller’s office. Check/bank check (must be postmarked by 12/31/2017) should be made payable to City of Kingston and mailed to P.O. Box 1627, Kingston NY 12402. Payment must reference Section/Block/Lot and Property Address.
- Pre-payment in Person – Call 845-334-3935 to obtain your payment amount. Payments can be made by check/bank check at City Hall located at 420 Broadway, Kingston NY (Thursday, December 28th and Friday, December 29th from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm only.) Payments will only be accepted in the amounts as provided by the office.
- 2018 General Tax bills sent out in mid-January will NOT reflect the pre-payment made.
- If your General Taxes are paid via an escrow account, we recommend that you contact your financial institution prior to making a prepayment of taxes.
- Even though the 2018 General Taxes may be prepaid, the question of deductibility is a question that must be answered by a tax preparer. The City of Kingston makes no claim, nor bears any responsibility for the deductibility of the pre-payment of property taxes. You should consult your tax professional for further information.
Call 845-334-3935 to obtain the 2018 first installment or full payment amount that will be accepted. Do not submit any payments prior to obtaining this information.