View Larger Map
Academy Green Park
Kingston, NY 12401
Academy Green is located on Albany Avenue, Clinton Avenue and Maiden Lane in Uptown Kingston
Academy Green has one of the greatest histories of all Kingston's parks. On July 15, 1660 on this site, Governor Peter Stuyvesant negotiated a peace treaty between the early settlers and the local Esopus Indians. This "memorable gathering under the sky of heaven" concluded one of several wars over land rights. Ulster County troops were reviewed on the green before entering the Civil War, and Kingston Academy, the older preparatory school in New York State was located here. Witnesses to all these events are the large elm trees that surround the park. The Kingston Academy located to the site in the mid 1800's but that building was demolished in 1915, when the new Kingston High School opened, Academy Green became a park in 1918.
Excerpt from Kingston's Magnificent City Parks by Ron Woods